Title: Forensic Scientist – Latent Print Section (Johnson County Sheriff’s Office Criminalistics Laboratory)
Description: The major duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
• Examining developed latent prints utilizing the ACE-V process
• Processing evidence, utilizing various chemical and physical methods, to develop latent prints
• Utilize local and national finger/palm print databases
• Perform technical and administrative review of case data
• Document and perform casework duties in accordance with laboratory procedures with minimal errors and no pattern of deficiencies
• Participate in training, competency testing, and proficiency testing according to established protocols
• Rigorously follow all safety manuals, standard operating procedures, and quality assurance/quality control procedures
• Perform quality control assurance/quality control procedures of reagents, equipment, and instrumentation as necessary
• Assist in ensuring conformance to laboratory accreditation standards
• Attend continuing education/training courses, workshops, seminars, conferences, and professional meetings as time and resources allow
• Participate in method validation/verification studies as needed
• Provide expert testimony in courts of law as required
This position requires availability for on-call hours outside the normal workday, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Minimum Education Qualifications
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in biology, bio-chemistry, chemistry, or forensic science related area. Transcripts must be submitted with the application in order to verify degree requirement.
Experience may be substituted for degree requirement.
At least two years of recent independent casework experience in the relevant discipline.
Salary & Benefits
2022 salary ranges are:
• Forensic Scientist Trainee ($49,437 – $74,031)
• Forensic Scientist ($56,659 – $84,864)
At least 2 years of forensic experience and completion of a forensic Latent Print training program
• Senior Forensic Scientist ($61,950- $92,926)
At least five years of independent casework experience
This position will be hired as a Forensic Scientist Trainee, Forensic Scientist, or Senior Forensic Scientist based upon prior experience. For applicants with prior experience, additional training may be required based upon assessment of the completed training program.
Closing Date for position: 10/07/2022
Location of Position:, Kansas
Additional Information: PDF Description of Opportunity