Title: Forensic Scientist II – DNA Analyst – $5,000 Hiring Incentive
Description: ABOUT THIS POSITION
Hiring Incentive: The City is offering a $5,000 hiring incentive to new hires for the Forensic Scientist II position, which will be paid in accordance with A.R. 2.55.
The mission of the Phoenix Police Department is to build and foster strong relationships with the community through our outreach and engagement, while adhering to the highest standards and traditions of the Phoenix Police Department. The Phoenix Police Department is committed to the Guiding Values of our P.R.I.D.E. Statement: Protection, Responsibility, Integrity, Dedication and Employee Excellence.
The Phoenix Police Department Laboratory Services Bureau is a nationally accredited forensic laboratory that provides technical assistance and training, evaluates, and analyzes evidence, interprets results, and provides expert testimony related to the full spectrum of physical evidence recovered from crime scenes. Some of the scientific procedures utilized by the laboratory have the potential for linking a suspect to a crime, victim, or a scene. The Bureau consists of over 140 professional staff and is comprised of nine specialized sections which include Evidence Screening, Latent Prints, Crime Scene Response, Forensic DNA, Controlled Substances, Trace Evidence and Arson, Toxicology, and Firearms.
Forensic Scientists apply the physical sciences to the investigation of crimes by performing advanced laboratory analyses on physical evidence collected from crime scenes. Applicants are expected to currently be competent in Forensic DNA interpretation and analysis at an ISO 17025 accredited laboratory: processing evidence including blood, body fluids, hair, and other biological material. The candidate must meet the educational requirements for a DNA analyst per the FBI Quality Assurance Standards for Forensic DNA Testing Laboratories, 5.4.1 (https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/quality-assurance-standards-for-forensic-dna-testing-laboratories.pdf/view).
Specific responsibilities for the Forensic Scientist – DNA Analyst may include, but are not limited to:
• DNA analysis of biological evidence.
• Providing written scientific reports and oral testimony as an expert witness in court.
• Performs interpretation, comparison, and conclusions on DNA data.
• Reviews DNA data from vendor laboratories to ensure conclusions are supported by data.
• Determines CODIS eligibility for forensic samples and known standards.
• Knowledge of principles, methods, equipment, and current techniques utilized in a forensic DNA laboratory.
• Ensures compliance with safety rules and regulations.
• Conducts technical and administrative reviews of scientific reports.
• Attains and maintains proficiency in accordance with laboratory accreditation requirements and FBI Quality Assurance Standards for Forensic DNA Testing Laboratories.
Work Location: Phoenix Crime Laboratory – 621 W. Washington Street, Phoenix
Click on the link below to learn more the Phoenix Crime Lab:
$29.38 (minimum) – $36.59 (maximum) hourly / $61,110 – $76,107 annually.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA/HDHP plan; wellness incentive of up to $720 annually; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 12.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days and personal leave days. Additionally, effective 10/1/2022, Paid Parental Leave is now offered to eligible employees up to 480 hours (12 weeks) of paid leave for the birth, adoption or foster care placement of a child during a 12-month period.
For more details, visit: Unit 007 Benefits
• Bachelor’s degree in a natural science, criminalistics, or a closely related field.
• Completion of the twenty-four month Forensic Scientist I (NC) training program.
• Two years of crime laboratory analysis experience may be substituted for the training program.
• Other combinations of experience and education that meet the minimum qualifications may be substituted.
• The City job description can be found here.
• All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
• Positions in the Police Department must meet the background standards that are appropriate to non-sworn positions. The general factors for disqualification are listed here.
The minimum qualifications listed above, plus:
• Forensic DNA: Involves the examination of forensic evidence for the presence of biological materials including blood, semen, saliva, cells, urine, and fecal material. DNA analysis involves the extraction, quantitation, analysis, and interpretation of forensic DNA samples isolated from the materials listed above. Knowledge and experience of principles, methods, materials, equipment, and current techniques used in Forensic DNA analysis.
• Quality Assurance Standard audit experience.
• Completion of ANAB assessor training or ANAB assessor experience.
• Two years of experience performing laboratory analyses in Forensic DNA analysis.
Recruitment closes March 28, 2023. All materials must be received by 11:59 p.m. on this date.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.
WE ARE HERE TO HELP
• Job interviews may be held by video or audio conference.
• If you are in need of computer resources, click here for free options.
• Arizona at Work has frequent classes to help with resume writing, interviewing skills, and general career guidance. Click here for more information.
• Explore other Employment Opportunities with the City of Phoenix.
• Subscribe to receive e-mail notifications about new employment opportunities.
• If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Forensic Scientist II, JC:62920, ID# 49302, 3/13/2023, USM, GO, Benefits:007
Building the Phoenix of tomorrow.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Closing Date for position: 04/15/2023
Location of Position:, AZ
Additional Information: PDF Description of Opportunity