Position: Forensic Examiner – DNA
Reference #: 02059
Organizational Unit: NS-NOC-NEFB-FS/OS
Location: Ft. Gillem, GA (& OCONUS)
Date Posted: June 5, 2018
PURPOSE: To perform independent routine to moderately complex technical examinations of evidence to include DNA analyses. Responsible for conducting specialized analytical procedures, conducting examination of evidence, and providing reports.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Performs routine to moderately complex analyses, tests, and examinations involving a variety of biological materials.
o Identification of blood and bloodstains, body fluids, and stains of body fluids, hair and other items requiring DNA or related analysis.
o Performance of visual and microscopic examination of hairs.
o Generation of STR DNA profiles.
o Comparison of evidence from victims, scenes, or instruments of incidents to evidence from suspects.
• Conducts assigned examinations and experiments utilizing well defined methods and a variety of scientific tools, equipment, instrumentation and techniques. Participates with senior examiners to decide the nature and extent of examinations to be conducted on more complex materials and items of evidence.
• Assists in maintaining laboratory instruments are in a state of readiness, supplies are sufficient to support laboratory operations and that all necessary safety precautions and applicable regulations are followed.
• Assigned to coordinate routine to moderately complex matters related to scope of analyses with other laboratory units, outside agencies, and related entities.
• Travel: OCONUS deployment required on rotational basis.
JOB REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Forensic Science, Chemistry or related discipline. Must have four (4) years of experience working in a forensic laboratory performing DNA analysis on criminal evidence, including blood and bloodstains, body fluids, and stains of body fluids, hair and other items requiring DNA or related analysis; generation of DNA profiles, performance of visual and microscopic examination of hairs; comparison of evidence from victims, scenes, or instruments of incidents to evidence from suspects. Professional certification such as American Board of Criminalistics (ABC) is desired. Must pass U.S. Government security background investigation and be able to obtain & maintain Secret security clearance. Must pass both a physical and dental examination (as required for OCONUS assignment). Must possess a current U.S. Government issued passport.
Appointment Type: FTT (Full-Time Temporary). This job is for a full-time position (minimum 40 hours per week) on a government issued contract that has a specific period of performance.
© Southern Association of Forensic Scientists