Title: Forensic Biologist II
Department: Forensic Biology
Job Type: Regular Full-Time
Location: Willow Grove, PA
Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8:00am to 4:30pm
NMS Labs is the nation’s leading independent provider of professional laboratory testing services, specializing in clinical toxicology, forensic science, and other vitally important areas of esoteric testing and expert services. We employ more than 300 highly trained professionals who work closely with leading healthcare providers, medical researchers, and various members of the criminal and civil justice system to provide integrated testing and consultative services.
NMS Labs is an ISO accredited independent provider of clinical and forensic toxicology, endocrinology and criminalistics laboratory services for the health care and forensic sciences communities. Since 1970, we have built a reputation as a provider of innovative, first-to-market and hard-to-find testing that has evolved to a broad menu of over 2,500 laboratory tests.
This position includes new and improved method development, modification, verification, validation, and implementation, performance of forensic serological testing, and isolation, amplification, and typing of DNA in forensic casework biological samples. This person is responsible for evidence examination, test performance, analysis of results and data interpretation, reporting test results, quality assurance, documentation of analytical processes, and may be responsible for peer review, supervision and training of lower level personnel, and authorization of results.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs data entry and handling of biological specimens, as needed.
• Independently performs and is responsible for, but not limited to, serological identification of biological fluids (blood, saliva, semen, urine, and feces), DNA extraction methodology, PCR DNA typing methods, and calculation of genetic frequencies.
• Performs and implements appropriate quality assurance practices.
• Implements continuous improvement measures on a regular basis.
• Maintains the appropriate chain of custody of evidence.
• Generates reports for review.
• Peer reviews reports, and effectively communicates scientific findings to internal and external clients.
• Provides interpretation of analytical results and court testimony as required.
• Keeps current with scientific advances and literature in forensic biology.
• Demonstrates an understanding of methods and their principles and significance and is able to aid entry level personnel and peers in training.
• Maintains regular and reliable attendance
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Working knowledge of analytical procedures including a basic understanding of analytical terminology, methods and theory, and methods of data interpretation.
Working knowledge of the following techniques: Serology, DNA extraction, PCR, STR’s, and Capillary Electrophoresis.
Ability to comprehend regulations and SOP’s and apply them to work operations.
Able to exhibit professional and effective interpersonal skills in communicating and coordinating with: internal professional staff and external clients including law enforcement, attorneys, and other external organizations.
Knowledge of proper safety practices.
• B.A./B.S. or advanced degree or its equivalent in biology-, chemistry-, natural- or forensic science- related area. DNA laboratory experience includes the successful analysis of reference and/or question samples typically encountered in forensic casework.
• Course work must include the subject areas of biochemistry, genetics, and molecular biology. College course work or training in statistics and/or population genetics is required.
• Experience with court testimony is preferred.
• ABC certification is preferred.
• Ability to talk, hear, and use and fingers to manipulate computer keyboard, objects, or controls.
• Ability to move or carry objects from one work location to another, and sitting for extended periods of time.
• Ability to travel for court testimony, as needed.
• Specific vision abilities (with correction) include close, distance, peripheral, depth, and the ability to adjust focus.
A few reasons why NMS Labs employees love the company
Located in suburban Philadelphia, NMS Labs offers a stimulating and diverse work environment with competitive salary/compensation plans and great benefits, including medical/dental/prescription plan, life/STD/LTD, flexible spending account, tuition reimbursement, 401k plan with generous match and profit sharing pension plan.
• Excellent training and professional development opportunities
• NMS Labs offers a stimulating and diverse working environment and unique culture
• FREE pretzels on Tuesdays, fresh fruit on Wednesdays, yearly influenza shots, parking, fully equipped exercise room with locker rooms, wellness programs
• In April, weeklong celebration for National Medical Laboratory Professionals
• Company Wellness Committee and ‘Activiteam’ dedicated to plan exciting events and seminars throughout the year
• In July, Founder’s Day celebration
• In December, holiday celebration for employees and their families
• Halloween Potluck, Company Summer Outing, Charity Drives
To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume and apply at http://www.nmslabs.com/careers.
**Additionally, applicants must submit transcripts upon application for consideration.
*We are an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, creed, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, citizenship status, otherwise qualified disability, or protected veteran status (disabled, Armed Forces Service Medal, recently separated, active duty or campaign badge).
Key words: Forensic, biological samples, DNA extraction, Serology, PCR, STR’s, Capillary Electrophoresis, genetic frequencies
© Southern Association of Forensic Scientists