Blue Marble Executive Search has been retained by Quest Diagnostics to lead the search for their Director of Laboratory Operations.
Director, Laboratory Operations – Employer Solutions (Tucker, GA)
Recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the “World’s Most Admired Companies,” Quest Diagnostics is the world’s leading provider of diagnostic testing, information and services that doctors and patients need to make better healthcare decisions. They are pioneers in developing innovative diagnostic tests and advanced healthcare information technology solutions that help improve patient care.
The Lab Director and Responsible Person (RP) will have professional, organizational, educational, and administrative responsibility for the lab (forensic toxicology). The RP will execute and administer duties including but not limited to reviewing QC data, investigating problems and implementing appropriate corrective actions, ensuring staff compliance with the Standard Operation Procedure (SOP), and authorizing changes in procedures.
The Lab Director and RP oversees technical lab operations along with the Scientific Director and Quality Assurance (QA) Director for workforce drug testing lab for a unit with approximately $50mm in revenue and over 100 employees. The Lab Director and RP will be responsible through lab managers and supervisors for quality and timeliness of technical procedures, compliance, and overall lab budget.
In order to successfully respond to the challenges of the role, the successful candidate will need to:
• Be Responsible Person (RP) under National Laboratory Certification Program (NLCP)
• Directs and coordinates laboratory activities to ensure that services are provided on schedule with quality and cost objectives.
• Ensures that all laboratory activities and operations are carried out in compliance with local, state, federal, and governmental regulations and laws.
• Develops and trains personnel within the laboratory and reviews and appraises their performance.
• Compliance with corporate policies and procedures, CAP-FDT.
• Establishes laboratory organization plan and delegates responsibilities, authorities andaccountabilities to appropriate subordinates.
• Creates and evaluates new procedures and equipment for potential use on the laboratory and recommends new procedures and equipment where necessary.
• Directs, coordinates and oversees major unit projects to the best economic advantage of the corporation.
The successful candidate for Director, Lab Operations will have the following attributes and/or experiences:
• Minimum of 8 years of progressive laboratory experience with at least 3 years of demonstrated leadership and management responsibility
• BSMT (MS/PhD desirable); ASCP Certification preferred
• Strong communications skills, both written and oral, in order to sell ideas and
concepts to peers and upper-level management
• Operations leader: Demonstrated operations and process leadership experience across multiple functional areas
• Ability to lead in a matrix structure to achieve business goals; demonstrated financial acumen and experience developing and operating a capital budget
• Problem Solver: Strategic thinker who can work collaboratively to identify and resolve technical, operational and organizational challenges
• Talent developer: Proven track record attracting and developing talent both within and outside direct team; ability to communicate clearly and effectively to direct and motivate team and others
• Flexible adaptor: Ability to operate effectively in a complex environment and manage multiple stake holders while adapting appropriately to shorter-term challenges, opportunities and priorities
For more information or to apply please email:
Scott Anthony, Chief Recruiter
Blue Marble Executive Search